Anyway, here's what we'll be making:
Icon of Sam Winchester from Supernatural episode 2x02: Everybody Loves a Clown
Made in PSP 8.
Level: Easy/Moderate I guess (never have made one of these, lol)
Uses Levels, Channel Mixer, and Color Balance mostly.
Translatable: Should be!
1. Choose your pic, then crop and resize it (you can then sharpen if you like, but I like to wait until the end).
2. Duplicate the base layer and set it to Screen (100%).
3. Go to Layers > New Adjustment Layer > Levels. Put in these values:
Input: 27, 1.38, 240
Output: 0, 248
Input: 17, 1.13, 244
Output: 0, 244
Input: 16, 1.12, 255
Output: 0, 249
4. Now comes the fun part. *g* Go to Layers > Adjustment Layer > Channel Mixer. Put in these values:
Output channel: Red
Output channel: Green
(Don't touch the Blue output channel)
5. Go to Layers > New Adjustment Layer > Color Balance. Put in these values:
Midtones: 15, 7, 6
Shadows: -14, 2, 6
Highlights: -4, 4, 0
6. Go to Layers > New Adjustment Layer > Hue/Saturation/Lightness. Up the Saturation to +15.
7. Merge all layers, sharpen if you like, and you're done!
Of course this tut may not work the same for all caps. If the caps you are using are quite dark, you might want to add another Screen layer after you duplicate the base (so that you have 2 Screen layers instead of 1). You can leave it at 100% opacity or lower the opacity to 50% (or even more), depending on how dark your pic is. For caps from season 3 where things are noticeably more colorful, you may find that you can skip step 6, or not up the Saturation so high. In the second Dean icon below (from BDABR), I also upped the Hue +5 (on the Hue/Sat/Lightness level), as I found Dean's face was too reddish for my liking. You can experiment as much as you like. It's not necessary to follow this tutorial exactly.
Other icons made using this tutorial:
I hope you find this tutorial useful. If you decide to use it, I'd love to see what you come up with! And if you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to let me know. (and if you like any of the icons above, you are more than welcome to take them. Just please give me credit for them. Thanks!)