This meme is from "What Privileges Do You Have?", based on an exercise about class and privilege developed by Will Barratt, Meagan Cahill, Angie Carlen, Minnette Huck, Drew Lurker, Stacy Ploskonka at Indiana State University. If you participate in this blog game, they ask that you PLEASE acknowledge their copyright.
Bold or put an X by what applies to you:
1. Father went to college
2. Father finished college
3. Mother went to college
4. Mother finished college
5. Have any relative who is an attorney, physician, or professor
6. Were the same or higher class than your high school teachers.
7. Had more than 50 books in your childhood home.
8. Had more than 500 books in your childhood home.
9. Were read children's books by a parent.
10. Had lessons of any kind before you turned 18.
11. Had more than two kinds of lessons before you turned 18.
12. The people in the media who dress and talk like me are portrayed positively.
13. Had a credit card with your name on it before you turned 18.
14. Your parents (or a trust) paid for the majority of your college costs.
15. Your parents (or a trust) paid for all of your college costs.
16. Went to a private high school.
17. Went to summer camp.
18. Had a private tutor before you turned 18
19. Family vacations involved staying at hotels
20. Your clothing was all bought new before you turned 18
21. Your parents bought you a car that was not a hand-me-down from them.
22. There was original art in your house when you were a child.
23. You and your family lived in a single-family house.
24. Your parent(s) owned their own house or apartment before you left home.
25. You had your own room as a child
26. You had a phone in your room before you turned 18.
27. Participated in a SAT/ACT prep course
28. Had your own TV in your room in high school
29. Owned a mutual fund or IRA in high school or college
30. Flew anywhere on a commercial airline before you turned 16.
31. Went on a cruise with your family
32. Went on more than one cruise with your family
33. Your parents took you to museums and art galleries as you grew up.
34. You were unaware of how much heating bills were for your family.
Yeah, some of these things are pretty weird... the "people who talk and dress like you in the media are portrayed positively"? What exactly do they mean? Uh, yeah I guess so........ "Same or higher class than your high school teachers"?? Well I'd say "same" class... my teachers weren't low class OR refined upper crust (even though this was a private Catholic school I attended). Weird...
Some of my clothing was bought new before I turned 18 but not all of it. And my first car was a hand-me-down from my parents (was my mom's 1984 Ford LTD), but it died soon after I started college and I bought a new (well, new-er... slightly used) car with money from my grandmother. I had a private tutor for a bit in high school because one year I was very sick and missed a lot of school, so wasn't doing well in Math. And in 11th grade we all had to take an SAT prep course. As for summer camp, I only went when I was very little... for a year or two back when I was around 3. The youth council at my elementary school district had a program called "summer recreation" that they held at our school. I went there from kindergarten to 2nd grade. It was a few days per week each summer but nothing overnight.
Wow, some of these memes.... heh...